The NDSU ‘Bison’ host the Nicholls State ‘Colonels’ in the second round FCS playoff game. After finishing the season undefeated, the Bison have their eyes on the National Championship, but before they can head to Frisco again, they need to make it through the playoffs. As the number one seed, the Bison will be playing at home. And in the Fargodome that is a big advantage.. just ask UND. Nicholls State finished the season 8–4 and has won four straight games. They represent the Southland Conference. The Bison played the Colonels in 2004 and 2005; winning both times. Will the Colonels outrank the Bison? What rank is a Bison? A General?
Nicholls State vs UND
Our local fans were cheering for the UND ‘Fighting Hawks’ last Saturday. North Dakota fans across the state were hoping today’s game would be an in state rivalry game. Some of the best games of the last 100 years have been between NDSU and UND. But it wasn’t to be.
The UND ‘Fighting Hawks’ (ranked #24) have struggled all year on the road, and their game at John L. Guidry Stadium (Thibodaux, LA) was no different. The Nicholls State ‘Colonels’ (#19) were able to run at will. Meanwhile the Hawks were unable to get their run game started. The Colonels ran for 316 yards to the Hawks 44 yards. Injures plagued UND.
UND ran the ball just 14 times and threw it 48. James Johannesson, UND’s leading rusher entering the game, played but didn’t have a carry.. It was the first time this season UND failed to score a touchdown. Senior quarterback Nate Ketteringham finished with 269 passing yards.. had an interception and a fumble, finished as UND’s leading rusher, carrying seven times for 20 yards. –Tom Miller
It didn’t help that the weather was hot, humid, and windy. Not something you could say about Grand Forks except for the wind. To make matters worse, Nicholls is rebuilding portions of their stadium. The Hawks’ locker room would be outside: in a tent! Add in some portable showers, and porta-potties for a miserable first round play off game.
Nicholls State beat UND 24 to 6 in the first round of the FCS playoffs.
UND coach Bubba Schweigert said, “We take a lot of pride in stopping the run, but we weren’t able to really hold down the rushing yards today.”
And I know a lot of NDSU fans wanted the Bison to be the ones to end UND’s playoff run.
The NDSU football team swept the Missouri Valley Football Conference (MVFC) awards as selected by the league’s head coaches, media and sports information directors. Head Coach Matt Entz was named the Bruce Craddock MVFC Coach Of The Year. Defensive End #91 Derrek Tuszka was named Defensive Player Of The Year. Quarterback #5 Trey Lance was named to three awards: Freshman, Newcomer, and Offensive Player Of The Year– the first freshman to earn the MVFC’s top offensive award. *
This announcement was followed by the All Missouri Valley Football Conference Team. 20 players were honored from the Bison Roster. *
- Trey Lance, First Team quarterback, All Newcomer Team
- Derrek Tuszka, First Team defensive line
- Ben Ellefson, First Team offensive linemen
- Zack Johnson, First Team offensive linemen
- Dillon Radunz, First Team offensive linemen
- Cordell Volson, First Team offensive linemen
- Jabril Cox, First Team linebacker
- James Hendricks, First Team defensive back
- Christian Watson, Second Team wide receiver
- Marquise Bridges, Second Team cornerbacks
- Josh Hayes, Second Team cornerbacks
- Ty Brooks, Honorable Mention running back
- Adam Cofield, Honorable Mention running back
- Hunter Luepke, Honorable Mention fullback
- Garrett Malstrom, Honorable Mention fullback
- Trevor Heit, Honorable Mention return specialist
- Karson Schoening, Honorable Mention offensive lineman
- Spencer Waege, Honorable Mention defensive lineman
- Michael Tutsie, Honorable Mention defensive back
- Kobe Johnson, All Newcomer Team running back
TE #82 Ben Ellefson (1st Team), DE #91 Derrek Tuszka (1st), LB #52 Jackson Hankey (2nd Team), SS #26 James Kaczor (2nd), FB #39 Garrett Malstrom (2nd), and Punter #38 Garret Wegner (HM) were named to the MVFC All Academic Team. They completed at least one calendar year of classes, participated in at least half the team’s games, and carried a minimum 3.20 cumulative grade point average (GPA). Nominees must be starters or important reserves who have sophomore athletic and academic standing. *
The game was played from 2:34–5:25 pm., on Gate City Bank Field at the Fargodome with 15,690 in attendance.
The NDSU ‘Bison’ Team Captains: FS #6 James Hendricks, CB #9 Marquise Bridges, OT #68 Zack Johnson, and TE #82 Ben Ellefson met the ‘Colonels’ team captains at mid-field for the coin toss. Referee: Bob Johnson and Umpire: Steve Coullias oversaw the toss. NDSU RB #26 Chad Stark (Class of 1988) flipped the coin. Nicholls State won the coin toss and elected to defer. North Dakota State will receive and defend the north end zone. Chad Stark was inducted into the Bison Athletic Hall of Fame in 2002.
First Half Drives
Nicholls State’s #45 Alec Bland with a 63-yard kick to start the game. NDSU RB #28 Ty Brooks bobbles the ball, but then returns it 23 yards before he’s tackled by RB #37 John Carrington and DB #8 Alonzo Craighton.
- NDSU 25. QB #5 Trey Lance throws a screen pass to TE #82 Ben Ellefson, who runs it for 36 yards. RB #18 Adam Cofield runs one yard before he’s tackled by NT #94 Brandon Fontenot and SLB #11 Aquindas Steib. RB #28 Ty Brooks runs 2 yards; stopped by DT #55 Sully Laiche and Fontenot. Lance’s pass is broken up by CB #2 Kendall Bussey in the end-zone. (incomplete to WR #1 Christian Watson) #38 Garret Wegner’s punts bounces north to the Nicholls 17 where it’s downed.
- Nicholls 17. RB #28 Julien Gums runs 6 yards. Gums runs 1 yard into SS #26 James Kaczor and LB #52 Jackson Hankey. QB #9 Chase Fourcade runs out of bounds; chased by Hankey and DT #92 Jack Darnell. No play, DE #93 Logan McCormick was called Offsides. Fourcade slips for a loss of 8 yards. WR #26 Tahj Smith loses a yard to Hankey. Fourcade runs 3 yards; SS #26 James Kaczor on the tackle. #99 Winston Jones punts the football 38 yards. WR #84 Trevor Heit returns it to the Nicholls 35 before he’s tackled by DB #17 Lloyd Nash. NDSU WR #32 DJ Stewart was called for an Illegal Block and it comes back.
- NDSU 38. QB #5 Trey Lance hits RB #4 Dimitri Williams, who turns it into a 20-yard gain. Lance runs 6 yards; then throws to WR #11 Phoenix Sproles for 9 yards. RB #18 Adam Cofield runs left 8 yards; then 9 yards. Lance up the middle for 3 yards. NT #94 Brandon Fontenot is injured on the play. Lance under-throws FB #44 Hunter Luepke. It would have been a TD. Lance then overthrows TE #82 Ben Ellefson. Safety #34 Khristian Mims with good coverage. Freshman #15 Will Cardinal misses a 25-yard Field Goal: wide right. Kicker #36 Griffin Crosa was benched due to a team rules infraction.
- Nicholls 20. QB #9 Chase Fourcade hits WR #5 Dai’Jean Dixon over the middle for 13 yards. Gums runs 3 yards into LB #52 Jackson Hankey. Fourcade throws to Gums for 4 yards; LB #42 Jabril Cox springs off the tuff to make the tackle. Fourcade runs out of bounds for 9 yards. Fourcade to Dixon on the right sideline for 29 yards. Gums runs 4 yards. Fourcade under-throws WR #83 Darrion Cook due to pressure by DE #91 Derrek Tuszka. Fourcade’s pass is batted down by DT #98 Matt Biegler. #46 Gavin Lasseigne kicks a 35-yard Field Goal. Nicholls State leads 3 to 0. RB #28 Ty Brooks returns Bland’s punt 13 yards. He’s smacked down by RB #37 John Carrington.
- NDSU 16. RB #18 Adam Cofield runs 2 yards. QB #5 Trey Lance runs 1 yard before he’s tackled by DE #98 Perry Ganci. Lance runs 15 yards off a draw. DL #3 Tahj Brown lost his helmet on the tackle. Lance dumps off a pass to RB #28 Ty Brooks for 4 yards. Lance runs right 7 yards. WR #11 Phoenix Sproles takes the reverse pitch and runs 55 yards down the right sidelines for a Touchdown. A good block by OT #67 Cordell Volson made sure he went all the way. #15 Will Cardinal kicks the extra point. NDSU takes a 7 to 3 lead. Second Quarter WR #26 Tahj Smith returns Wegner’s kickoff 18 yards before he’s tackled by LB #31 Jasir Cox.
- Nicholls 18. RB #1 Dontrell Taylor runs 2 yards into DT #98 Matt Biegler and SS #25 Michael Tutsie. QB #9 Chase Fourcade runs 6 yards; then throws to DB #21 Dion Ray over the middle for 4 yards. Timeout Nicholls State as the play clock hit zero. Fourcade’s next pass is complete to RB #1 Dontrell Taylor for 8 yards. Fourcade goes back to Taylor for a 4-yard gain. Taylor runs 8 yards; then 3 yards. RB #28 Julien Gums copies with runs of 8 yards and 3 yards. Fourcade follows with runs of 8 yards and 3 yards. Fourcade scoops the football off the turf; then heaves it to the right sidelines. WR #5 Dai’Jean Dixon had a step on CB #9 Marquise Bridges and extends the ball for a 25-yard Touchdown. FS #6 James Hendricks was late getting over top. The play was under review. Did he go out of bounds? The Ruling is confirmed. #46 Gavin Lasseigne kicks the extra point. Nicholls State retakes the lead 10 to 7. RB #28 Ty Brooks returns Bland’s kickoff 18 yards. Ty is tackled by LB #56 Jacob Parker.
- NDSU 20. RB #18 Adam Cofield runs right 11 yards. No Play, NDSU OT #68 Zack Johnson was called for Holding and Nicholls MLB #47 Allen Pittman was called for Unsportsmanlike Conduct: late hit. QB #5 Trey Lance is sacked for loss of 6 yards by DT #55 Sully Laiche. RB #4 Dimitri Williams runs left 6 yards. Lance’s pass is complete to WR #11 Phoenix Sproles for 21 yards. Sproles injured his left shoulder hitting the turf. He would leave the game. Brooks is tackled by DE #98 Perry Ganci after one. Lance hits TE #87 Noah Gindorff at the right sideline for ten yards. Lance with a screen pass to a wide open WR #19 Jimmy Kepouros for a 43-yard Touchdown. Great block by WR #89 Cole Jacob to spring the play. #15 Will Cardinal kicks the extra point. NDSU leads 14 to 10. #38 Garret Wegner on the ensuing kickoff. A Fair Catch is called by WR #26 Tahj Smith on the goal line.
- Nicholls 25. QB #9 Chase Fourcade runs 2 yards. RB #28 Julien Gums runs 3 yards. Fourcade is sacked for a loss of 10 yards by DE #91 Derrek Tuszka. TE #18 Jordan Talley was injured on the play. WR #84 Trevor Heit returns Jones’ punt to the Nicholls 22. SS #26 James Kaczor was called for Holding.
- NDSU 45. RB #4 Dimitri Williams runs 3 yards. QB #5 Trey Lance’s pass is complete to WR #19 Jimmy Kepouros for 19 yards. Nicholls’ CB #24 Darren Evans was called for Targeting. The Targeting Call was initiated from the booth. Darren is ejected from the game after the play was reviewed. Also a 15-yard Penalty. Nicholls Head Coach Tim Rebowe spends some time arguing against the call with the official. First and 10 at the Nicholls 18. Lance overthrows WR #1 Christian Watson on the left sideline. Lance overthrows TE #82 Ben Ellefson running to the end zone. Lance overthrows WR #19 Jimmy Kepouros in the end-zone. A QB Hurry was credited to DB #38 Kevin Johnson on the play. #15 Will Cardinal misses a 36-yard Field Goal: wide left.
- Nicholls 20. RB #1 Dontrell Taylor breaks a 12-yard run. Taylor runs 3 yards on the last play of the half.
Second Half Drives
NDSU #38 Garret Wegner starts the second half kickoff with a Touchback.
- Nicholls 25. WR #5 Dai’Jean Dixon is tackled by FS #6 James Hendricks for loss of 1 yard. RB #28 Julien Gums spins free and runs 18 yards. Gums runs 6 yards QB #9 Chase Fourcade’s pass is broken up by CB #9 Marquise Bridges. A QB Hurry is credited to LB #55 Aaron Mercadel. No Play, NDSU CB #9 Marquise Bridges was flagged for Pass Interference: 10 yards. RB #1 Dontrell Taylor runs 16 yards before going out of bounds. LB #42 Jabril Cox was called for a Face Mask penalty. First Down at the NDSU 13. Taylor runs 2 yards into LB #55 Aaron Mercadel and DT #94 Costner Ching. Fourcade is tackled by Hendricks after one. Fourcade hits Gums.. a gain of four yards. #46 Gavin Lasseigne kicks a 23-yard Field Goal. Nicholls closes to one. NDSU leads 14 to 13. RB #28 Ty Brooks returns Bland’s kick 23 yards before he’s tackled by DB #27 Christopher Boutte.
- NDSU 30. RB #18 Adam Cofield runs 4 yards. OT #67 Cordell Volson was called for a 15-yard late hit penalty. Lance runs 5 yards; then runs 15 yards. The spot is under review, “The ruling of a first down is overturned.” #38 Garret Wegner punts the ball. WR #13 Mason Roberts ran it out of bounds.
- Nicholls 08. RB #28 Julien Gums runs 7 yards; then 6 yards. QB #9 Chase Fourcade’s deep pass is Intercepted by SS #25 Michael Tutsie. Tutsie runs it back 25 yards. Nicholls was also called for a 15-yard Face Mask penalty.
- NDSU at the Nicholls 16. RB #28 Ty Brooks runs 7 yards; then 2 yards. RB #18 Adam Cofield is tackled for a loss of 2 yards by DE #98 Perry Ganci and SLB #11 Aquindas Steib. NDSU was called for Illegal Motion. Nicholls Head Coach Tim Rebowe declined it. QB #5 Trey Lance runs 9 yards into the south end-zone. No Play, OT #68 Zack Johnson was called for a 5-yard Holding Penalty. NDSU #15 Will Cardinal kicks a 32-yard Field Goal. NDSU leads 17 to 13. #38 Garret Wegner on the ensuing kickoff. A Fair Catch is called by WR #26 Tahj Smith in the end-zone.
- Nicholls 25. QB #9 Chase Fourcade runs: 6 yards, 1 yard, and 8 yards. NDSU LB #42 Jabril Cox was called for Targeting, but it was overturned. Fourcade is Intercepted again. FS #6 James Hendricks, watches Chase, jumps the route, picks up blockers, and returns the ball 48 yards.
- NDSU at the Nicholls 13. RB #18 Adam Cofield runs 2 yards. RB #28 Ty Brooks runs 9 yards, but then loses a yard to Saftey #7 Kevin Moore and DL #96 Glen Thurmond. QB #5 Trey Lance rolls right and hits TE #87 Noah Gindorff, wide open for a 3-yard Touchdown. Nicholls was called for Holding. Head Coach Matt Entz is quick to decline it. #15 Will Cardinal kicks the extra point. NDSU leads 24 to 13. Wegner with another Touchback.
- Nicholls 25. RB #1 Dontrell Taylor runs 6 yards; then 7 yards. RB #28 Julien Gums runs 6 yards; then he’s tackled by LB #52 Jackson Hankey and DE #91 Derrek Tuszka after one. QB #9 Chase Fourcade is tackled by LB #42 Jabril Cox and LB #55 Aaron Mercadel for a loss of one yard. Fourth Quarter. #99 Winston Jones punts the ball 36 yards. WR #84 Trevor Heit muffs the catch. NDSU CB #7 Tre Fort jumps on the lose ball.
- NDSU 15. RB #4 Dimitri Williams runs 4 yards. WR #1 Christian Watson runs the jet sweep for 15 yards. RB #28 Ty Brooks runs 11 yards; then 3 yards. QB #5 Trey Lance hits FB #44 Hunter Luepke for a 4-yard gain. Lance is chased out of bounds by Safety #34 Khristian Mims for two yards. Fourth and One. RB #18 Adam Cofield runs one yard for a First Down. Williams pounds the Colonels for 8 yards.. bouncing out left. DT #55 Sully Laiche was called for an Unsportsmanlike Conduct. Cofield runs 4 yards. Brooks runs 1 yard. Lance runs 6 yards for a Touchdown. The Bison O-Line (The Rams) gave a good push. #15 Will Cardinal kicks the extra point. NDSU leads 31 to 13. Wegner on the ensuing kickoff. A Fair Catch was called by WR #26 Tahj Smith.
- Nicholls 25. QB #9 Chase Fourcade’s pass is complete to WR #26 Tahj Smith for 2 yards. SS #25 Michael Tutsie and CB #9 Marquise Bridges made the tackle. Fourcade’s next pass is complete to RB #1 Dontrell Taylor for 2 yards. LB #55 Aaron Mercadel made the stop. Fourcade is tackled by DE #90 Tony Pierce for no gain. #99 Winston Jones punts the football 35 yards. WR #84 Trevor Heit gained 20 yards before LB #56 Jacob Parker made the tackle from behind.
- NDSU at the Nicholls 44. RB #28 Ty Brooks runs 2 yards; then 3 yards. Nicholls Timeout. RB #18 Adam Cofield runs 2 yards. Fourth and Three. QB #5 Trey Lance runs right 34 yards. RB #4 Dimitri Williams runs the final 3 yards for the Touchdown. Thanks to the Bison O-Line push. #15 Will Cardinal’s kick shanks off his foot. NDSU leads 37 to 13. #38 Garret Wegner kicks the football through the end-zone.
- Nicholls 25. RB #28 Julien Gums runs 1 yard. A False Start was called on LG #64 P.J. Burkhalter. Gums runs 4 yards. #1 Dontrell Taylor is tackled by LB #52 Jackson Hankey after one yard. Fourth and 8. Taylor is stopped by DT #60 Lane Tucker and SS #26 James Kaczor after six yards. Bison Ball.
- NDSU at the Nicholls 33. QB #5 Trey Lance takes a knee in Victory Formation and the game is over. NDSU beats Nicholls State 37 to 13.
Post Game Notes
At half-time Nicholls led NDSU in Time Of Possession (TOP) 16:35 to 13:19 minutes. In the Fourth Quarter this was stood on its head. NDSU led Nicholls in TOP 10:08 to 4:52 minutes, and dominated Total Yards 115 to 17.
I saw a couple players for NDSU and Nicholls slip on the turf. Not sure why? Nicholls was held to 265 yards of total offense. (NDSU had 434 yards.) Last week’s leader against UND: Julien Gums ran for only 77 yards. Colonel Quarterback Chase Fourcade was 11 of 15 for 94 yards, one Touchdown, but two interceptions, which led to NDSU scores. Nicholls stayed in the game until late in the Third Quarter when the Bison Defense finally wore the Colonels down; then the Bison Offense ran away with the game.
The Colonels got a 23-yard field goal on the opening drive of the second half to pull within 14–13, but they wouldn’t cross midfield again. Interceptions by NDSU safeties Michael Tutsie and James Hendricks on the next two drives turned into 10 points as the Bison defense stiffened. *
|Qtr||Clock||Team||Player Scoring Play||Plays||Yards||TOP||Nicholls||NDSU|
|1st||03:03||Nicholls||Gav Lasseigne 35-yard field goal||9||62||3:17||3||0|
|1st||00:00||NDSU||Phoenix Sproles 55-yard run||6||84||2:59||3||7|
|2nd||12:53||Nicholls||Dai’Jean Dixon 25-yard pass||12||82||2:03||10||7|
|2nd||04:13||NDSU||Jimmy Kepouros 43-yard pass||6||80||3:36||10||14|
|3rd||10:36||Nicholls||Gav Lasseigne 23-yard field goal||8||69||4:24||13||14|
|3rd||06:26||NDSU||Will Cardinal 32-yard field goal||4||2||1:26||13||17|
|3rd||02:58||NDSU||Noah Gindorff 3-yard pass||4||13||1:55||13||24|
|4th||08:21||NDSU||Trey Lance 6-yard run||12||85||6:30||13||31|
|4th||03:12||NDSU||Dimitri Williams 3-yard run||5||44||2:58||13||37|
|Time Of Possession||26:31||33:29|
- QB #5 Trey Lance was 10 of 16 for 169 yards and two Touchdowns. His longest throw as 43 yards. He also ran 11 times for a game high 88 net yards and one Touchdown. His longest run was 34 yards.
- WR #11 Phoenix Sproles had a 55-yard Touchdown run. He caught passes of 21 and 9 yards.
- RB #28 Ty Brooks ran 11 times for 40 net yards. He had a 23-yard Kickoff return (77 yards total), and caught a 4-yard pass.
- RB #04 Dimitri Williams run six times for 38 yards and a Touchdown. He caught a 20-yard pass.
- RB #18 Adam Cofield ran ten times for 31 net yards.
- WR #01 Christian Watson had a 15-yard run.
- WR #19 Jimmy Kepouros caught 43 and 19-yard passes; one for a Touchdown.
- TE #82 Ben Ellefson caught a 36-yard pass.
- TE #87 Noah Gindorff caught a 3-yard TD pass, and a 10-yard pass.
- FB #44 Hunter Luepke caught a four-yard pass.
- LB #52 Jackson Hankey had a career high 13 tackles, including a 1-yard TFL (Tackle For Loss)
- SS #25 Michael Tutsie made 10 tackles and a 25-yard Interception.
- LB #42 Jabril Cox had 7 tackles including sharing a 1-yard sack.
- FS #06 James Hendricks had 5 tackles, a 48-yard Interception, and a 1-yard TFL.
- PK #38 Garret Wegner had a 53-yard punt.
- Ki #34 Will Cardinal made a 32-yard Field Goal after missing from 25 and 36 yards.
Stream the entire game from ESPN with play by play announcer Jim Barbar and color analyst John Gregory on YouTube.com
- GoBison: Boxscore: participation rosters, play by play guides, team stats, and individual stats.
- GoBison: Recap:
Bison Pull Away From Nicholls in Second Half for FCS Record 34th Straight Win
- GoBison: Pregame News: No. 1 Seed NDSU to Host Nicholls North Dakota Winner in FCS Second Round
- GoBison: MVFC Sweep: Bison Sweep Valley Football Coach and Player of the Year Awards
- GoBison: All MVFC Team: Lance, Tuszka Highlight 11 NDSU Picks to All Missouri Valley Football Conference Team
- GoBison: MVFC Academic Team: Five Bison Named to Valley Football All Academic Team
- Tim Miller, Grand Forks Herald: Nicholls State Ends UNDs Season With 24–6 Win In FCS Playoffs